- National Library Workers' Day
- Tuesday April 11, 2017
NLWD is a day for library staff, users, administrators and Friends groups to recognize the valuable contributions made by all library workers.
- Hidden Figures Book Discussion
- Tuesday April 11, 2017; 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Friends of the Library book discussion featuring Hidden Figures by Margo Lee Shetterly.
- Meet Local Author, Sam Thomas
- Wednesday April 12, 2017; 3 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
He will discuss his mystery novel, The Midwife's Tale.
- National Library Week Celebration
- Thursday April 13, 2014; 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Michael Schwartz Library 1st Floor
Join us for food, giveaways, book art and more.
Library Weblog & News
Subscribe to RSS Feed
Mail links can be found under each post. Click the author's name to email replies, comments, etc. Archive options shows you older topics.
Monday, April 10th, 2017
Celebrate Nation Library Week April 9-15, 2017
Library Cancelling Subscription to RefWorks Effective June 30, 2017
Effective June 30, 2017 the Michael Schwartz Library is cancelling its subscription to RefWorks. After that date, students, faculty, staff and alumni will not be able to use RefWorks through the library's subscription.
- Why is the library cancelling its subscription to RefWorks?
- When the library began offering RefWorks, it was one of few options for citation managers. There are many more options now, some of which are more robust and free to all users. Faced with budgetary constraints and annual inflation increases for RefWorks, the library has chosen to prioritize purchasing content over the continued cost of subscribing to RefWorks.
- How can I save my RefWorks Citations?
- The following instructions explain how to export your RefWorks citations so they are ready to upload to another platform.
- What are the alternatives?
- There are several alternatives to RefWorks which, up to a certain level of storage, are completely free. The tools which the library supports are Zotero, Mendeley, and Endnote Web (Basic). More information about these tools is available on this Zotero Research Guide and this Mendeley Research Guide. The library will also be offering in-person and online training workshops for these tools. Refer to the following schedule for in-person Zotero/Mendeley workshops and register using this workshop registration link. Continue to check this link for future workshop times, including webinars.
- Wed. 4/12, 3:00pm - RT 502
- Thurs. 4/13, 11:00am - RT 502
- Mon. 4/17, 2:00pm - RT 502
- Tues. 4/18, 11:00am - LCLC Front
- Wed. 4/19, 10:00am - LCLC Front
- Fri. 4/21, 12:00pm - LCLC Front
- Mon. 4/24, 1:00pm - LCLC Front
- Tues. 4/25, 3:00pm - LCLC Front
- Who can I contact with questions or concerns?
- Please feel free to contact your personal librarian with questions. You may also contact the reference desk at 216-687-5300 from 10am-8pm Monday through Thursday, 10am-5pm on Friday, 10-5pm Saturday, or 2-6pm Sunday to speak to a reference librarian.
Wednesday, March 29th, 2017
Textbook Affordability Small Grant for CSU Faculty
The Michael Schwartz Library, in collaboration with the Center for eLearning, Center for Instructional Technology and Distance Learning (CITDL), and the Center for Faculty Excellence are sponsoring a Textbook Affordability Small Grant to help support faculty who are willing to adopt/adapt an open textbook for a class. Grant Applications are due May 1, 2017.
If you want to learn more about Open Textbooks and possibly apply for one of the grants, attend Dr. Glenda Thornton's presentation on Open Access Textbooks on Thursday, April 13. Go to Workshop and Registration details. Attendance will be helpful in applying for a grant, but it is not required.
Monday, March 20th, 2017
SYSTEMS ALERT : OhioLINK Hosted Services Down March 21st Sometime Between 7:30 - 10 PM
OhioLINK needs to complete some urgent maintenance on the systems that govern access to their servers. This maintenance will take place on Tuesday, March 21 from 7:30-10pm. They are expecting any service outage during that window to be less than 30 minutes. During the outage, however, all OhioLINK services will be unavailable.
This will include:
- OhioLINK website
- Central Catalog
- Electronic Journal Center (EJC)
- Electronic Book Center (EBC)
- Digital Resource Commons (DRC)
- Electronic Theses & Dissertations (ETD)
- Finding Aid Repository (EAD)
- Rave URLS
Thursday, March 9th, 2017
Book Discussion of Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly
Discussion Leader: Richard Fox, Ideastream.Tuesday, April 11, 2017
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Rhodes Tower, Room 503
Please register here for this free event. Light refreshments will be served.
Wednesday, March 8th, 2017
SYSTEMS ALERT : Internet Outage to Disrupt Library Web Services Tues. March 14th from 8 PM to 10 PM
Due to a scheduled internet outage, the following Library web services will be off-line from 8 PM - 10 PM on Tuesday March 14th.
Friday, March 3rd, 2017
Library Exhibit: Damnable Artifacts: Production Memorabilia from the Plays of Mac Wellman
The Mac Wellman Homecoming Festival, March 23 - 25, 2017, is a celebration of a groundbreaking playwright from Cleveland, Ohio, one who is widely recognized as among the most influential voices of the Off-Off-Broadway era.
Based for many years in New York, Wellman has authored dozens of plays, with productions spanning throughout North America as well as England, Germany, China, and Japan. In addition, he is regarded as a significant teacher of playwriting, and has impacted many of today's most important emerging writers from his position as head of the master of fine arts program at Brooklyn College. Mac Wellman is a major figure in American letters and an essential presence in the lineage of playwrights from the Cleveland area.
The Library exhibit, Damnable Artifacts: Production Memorabilia from the Plays of Mac Wellman, features set models, posters, programs, scripts, props, photos, postcards, T-shirts, and vintage reviews from productions spanning the career of the playwright. All items are original artifacts from the collections of lighting/set designer Kyle Chepulis and graphic designer David Prittie (both of the Flea Theater, NYC) and director/performer Clyde Simon (convergence-continuum theater, Cleveland). The exhibit is located on the first floor of the Library (in Rhodes Tower) and is free and open to the general public (extended through April 9) during regular Library hours.
Join us in giving long-overdue recognition to one of Northeast Ohio’s most lauded playwriting products. Schedule of Events.Contributors
Presented by Playwrights Local in partnership with Cleveland State University Department of English, the NEOMFA Creative Writing Program, and the Michael Schwartz Library.
Tuesday, February 21st, 2017
New Trial Subscription to Music Industry Data
Music Industry Data is a growing repository of historical and current sales data, spanning 60 years from over 30 countries.
Music Industry Data will be available on a trial basis to the CSU community until April 21. Find it on our Research Databases page. Music Industry Data Survey -- Once you've tried Music Industry Data, let us know what you think about this service.
Friday, February 17th, 2017
Digital CSU Workshop: Citation Managers 101: RefWorks and Zotero
CSU Digital Methods Working Group
Please join Digital CSU for a Citation Managers 101: RefWorks and Zotero Workshop, by Mandi Goodsett, Performing Arts & Humanities Librarian.
The workshop will take place on Thursday, February 23, 2017 in MC 420 from 11:30 am -1:00 pm. Refreshments will be available for all attendees in MC 429 until 1:00 pm.
Save the Date
The Digital CSU March meeting will feature Mark Souther, Director, Center for Public History + Digital Humanities and History Professor, who will discuss Oral Histories. Thursday, March 23, 2017 in RT 502, from 11:30 am -1:00 pm.
For more information about Digital CSU, including the monthly meeting schedule, visit http://engagedscholarship.csuohio.edu/digitalcsu/.
Wednesday, February 15th, 2017
SYSTEMS ALERT : OCLC Downtime to Affect FirstSearch Databases Sun., Feb. 19th
Due to scheduled system maintenance at OCLC, FirstSearch databases, as well as some other OCLC databases, will be unavailable from 2:00 am - 8:00 am on Sunday, February 19th. These databases include:
- Clase and Periodica
Showing the latest 10 threads only. Display earlier topics.