Campus Sustainability Month — October 2017
Computer and Power Tips
- Be energy efficient: turn off your monitor if you're not going to use it for 20 minutes, and your computer if you're not going to use it for 2 hours.
- Remember to turn off your computer, monitor, speakers, and other accessories when you leave for the day.
- Screen savers don't save power — they were designed to prevent image burn-in on older monitors. Instead, use sleep mode:
- Windows 7: Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power Options -> Click "Change Plan Settings" for whichever plan is selected -> Turn off the display: 30 minutes (or your preference)
- Windows 10: Settings -> System -> Power and Sleep -> Screen -> Turn off after: 30 minutes (or your preference)
- Turn down your monitor's brightness to whatever minimum level is still comfortable for your eyes — do this on your laptops and cell phones, too, to save battery life.
On behalf of the MSL Sustainability Interest Group, thank you for helping to make our campus more sustainable!