Crowds at the Great Lakes Exposition. View image.
Held in the summers of 1936 and 1937, the Great Lakes Exposition was sprawled over 135 acres of land near Cleveland's lakefront from W. 3rd Street to East 20th Street.
Organized to celebrate the centennial year of the corporation of the city of Cleveland, the Great Lakes Exposition sought to highlight "the material, social and cultural progress which has been achieved in the Great Lakes Region in the past 100 years" and to "indicate the paths of progress for the future."
The Exposition featured hundreds of attractions, including rides, sideshows, botanical gardens, cafes, international communities, and more.
The Library Exhibit, located on the first floor of the Michael Schwartz Library, contains an assortment of photos, publications, and memorabilia, including postcards, souvenir books, pennants, matchbook covers, jewelry boxes, figurines, and much more! There is also a video which includes historical footage of the Exposition of 1936 and 1937.
The exhibit material was provided by Edward Oshaben, a private collector of Great Lakes Exposition memorabilia and Board Member of the Slovenian Museum and Archives. Additional images and materials were provided by the Michael Schwartz Library Special Collections.
For more information, visit Cleveland Memory's Great Lakes Exposition web page or call 216-687-6998.
The Great Lakes Exposition exhibit is open for viewing to the Campus Community and the general public during regular Library hours.