Jump to page contents
Subscribe to RSS Feed
Show latest posts
Mail links can be found under each post. Click the author's name to email replies, comments, etc. Archive options shows you older topics.
Permanent link to this topic. Posted 2007-09-27 08:09:44. Reply to Lauren_Felder. Categories: Library News.
Permanent link to this topic. Posted 2007-09-20 09:22:57. Reply to Tracy_Kemp. Categories: Library News.
Congratulations to Brian Peebles who won a copy of David Clary's book, Adopted Son, by getting the most answers right on this Lafayette quiz!
1. How old were Washington & Lafayette when they first met ? a) 45 & 19 years old
2. Where is Lafayette buried? a) Next to his wife, Adrienne b) Under dirt taken from the battle field at Bunker Hill c) In a convent in Paris
3. What key did Lafayette give to his friend George Washington ? d) The key to the Bastille
4. What does Lafayette have in common with Winston Churchill & Mother Teresa of Calcutta? c) They were all awarded honorary American citizenship.
5. How many times did Lafayette visit America ? a) 4
6. What was the name of the ship Lafayette purchased to sail to America on his first visit? b) la Victoire
7. What were the names of Lafayette's three children ? a) Anastasie, Virginie, George Washington
8. How old was Lafayette when he became a millionaire ? b) 13
9. How did Lafayette's father die : a) He was wounded in a battle against the English
10. Who helped Lafayette compose << La Déclaration des droits de l'homme et du citoyen>>? c) Thomas Jefferson
11. Who is credited with giving Lafayette the name "Hero of Two Worlds"? b) Voltaire
12. The Iroquois Indians gave Lafayette the name "Kayewla." What does it mean? a) Intrepid Horseman
13. Lafayette's family motto, "CUR NON" translates into English as: c) Why not
14. Lafayette was captured & put in prison during the French Revolution by : a) The Austrians
15. During the French Revolution, Lafayette was the head of b) The French National Guard c) A bourgeois militia formed to maintain order in the French capital
16. What event during the French Revolution contributed most to Lafayette's political downfall? c) The massacre on the Champs-de-Mars in Paris
17. Who negotiated Lafayette's release from prison ? a) Napoléon
18. Lafayette's influence played a key role in helping what king ascend the throne ? a) Louis-Philippe
19. How did America commemorate the death of Lafayette ?a) Congress asked the American people to dress in mourning clothes for 30 days.b) Pres. Andrew Jackson ordered that the same military honors that were given to Washington at the time of his death be given to Lafayette.c) The chambers of Congress were draped in black.
21. During his Triumphant Tour of the United States in 1824-25, how many states did Lafayette visit?a) 24
22. Which American writer had extended stays with Lafayette, & even wrote some of his most famous works at his house? a) James Fennimore Cooper
23. What was the name of the manor house where Lafayette lived from 1800 until his death ?b) LaGrange
24. Which honors or titles did Lafayette refuse during his lifetime? a) Gov. of Louisiana.b) The Legion of Honor
The College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences & the CSU Library sponsored the 250th anniversary of the birth of the Marquis de Lafayette (1757-2007) on Sept. 6.
Permanent link to this topic. Posted 2007-09-07 16:51:23. Reply to Barbara_Loomis. Categories: Library News.
Permanent link to this topic. Posted 2007-09-05 11:12:30. Reply to Barbara_Loomis. Categories: Library News.
Showing posts from September 2007 only. Display other dates.