Subscribe to RSS Feed
Mail links can be found under each post. Click the author's name to email replies, comments, etc. Archive options shows you older topics.
|Show latest posts|
Network Outage for the Main Campus Saturday September 29, 8pm until midnight.
There will be a planned network outage for the Main Campus Sat. Sept. 29, 8pm until midnight. This downtime is necessary to apply needed maintenance to the network equipment.
During this time, SCHOLAR (the Library's online catalog), the Library Web site, the OhioLINK Databases and OhioLINK Circulation will be unavailable.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this outage, you may contact the IS&T Call Center at 687-5050 for more information.
Keep track of all your library books with the Library Elf
The CSU Library has just joined Library Elf.
Elf is an Internet-based tool for keeping track of what's due, overdue and ready for pickup. Users can keep track of one or more library accounts (Cleveland Public Library and Cuyahoga County Public Library are also on Elf) in one place and receive reminders (sometimes called pre-overdue or early notification). Reminders are sent when the user wants it -- before items are due (up to seven days advance notice, weekly notice or everyday reminders). For families or anyone who'd like reminders before an item is due (user-selectable number of days notice). If Elf is for you, sign up for an account.
Answers to the Lafayette Quiz
Congratulations to Brian Peebles who won a copy of David Clary's book, Adopted Son, by getting the most answers right on this Lafayette quiz!
1. How old were Washington & Lafayette when they first met ?
a) 45 & 19 years old
2. Where is Lafayette buried?
a) Next to his wife, Adrienne
b) Under dirt taken from the battle field at Bunker Hill
c) In a convent in Paris
3. What key did Lafayette give to his friend George Washington ?
d) The key to the Bastille
4. What does Lafayette have in common with Winston Churchill & Mother Teresa of Calcutta?
c) They were all awarded honorary American citizenship.
5. How many times did Lafayette visit America ?
6. What was the name of the ship Lafayette purchased to sail to America on his first visit?
b) la Victoire
7. What were the names of Lafayette's three children ?
a) Anastasie, Virginie, George Washington
8. How old was Lafayette when he became a millionaire ?
9. How did Lafayette's father die :
a) He was wounded in a battle against the English
10. Who helped Lafayette compose << La Déclaration des droits de l'homme et du citoyen>>?
c) Thomas Jefferson
11. Who is credited with giving Lafayette the name "Hero of Two Worlds"?
12. The Iroquois Indians gave Lafayette the name "Kayewla." What does it mean?
a) Intrepid Horseman
13. Lafayette's family motto, "CUR NON" translates into English as:
c) Why not
14. Lafayette was captured & put in prison during the French Revolution by :
a) The Austrians
15. During the French Revolution, Lafayette was the head of
b) The French National Guard
c) A bourgeois militia formed to maintain order in the French capital
16. What event during the French Revolution contributed most to Lafayette's political downfall?
c) The massacre on the Champs-de-Mars in Paris
17. Who negotiated Lafayette's release from prison ?
18. Lafayette's influence played a key role in helping what king ascend the throne ?
19. How did America commemorate the death of Lafayette ?
a) Congress asked the American people to dress in mourning clothes for 30 days.
b) Pres. Andrew Jackson ordered that the same military honors that were given to Washington at the time of his death be given to Lafayette.
c) The chambers of Congress were draped in black.
21. During his Triumphant Tour of the United States in 1824-25, how many states did Lafayette visit?
22. Which American writer had extended stays with Lafayette, & even wrote some of his most famous works at his house?
a) James Fennimore Cooper
23. What was the name of the manor house where Lafayette lived from 1800 until his death ?
24. Which honors or titles did Lafayette refuse during his lifetime?
a) Gov. of Louisiana.
b) The Legion of Honor
The College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences & the CSU Library sponsored the 250th anniversary of the birth of the Marquis de Lafayette (1757-2007) on Sept. 6.
Friends of the Library Book Discussion on acclaimed book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Showing posts from September 2007 only. Click here for other dates.
Michael Schwartz Library
Cleveland State University
We bring people & information together.
2121 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44115-2214