Subscribe to RSS Feed
Mail links can be found under each post. Click the author's name to email replies, comments, etc. Archive options shows you older topics.
|Show latest posts|
Major Change in Access to Photographs in Special Collections at the Michael Schwartz Library
This spring, Special Collections will be starting a major conservation project of its photograph collections in order to preserve them for use by future generations. Beginning May 12, 2013, the end of Spring Semester, Special Collections will discontinue the practice of allowing users direct use of the photographs in our collections. This is a fundamental change from our present practice of allowing users ready access to these prints.
To view images not yet available on our Cleveland Memory Project, Special Collections users will need to fill out a request for a specific list of folders. Special Collections staff will make contact sheets (in PDF format) of requested images. These will be distributed at no cost on a first come, first served basis, with expedited service to students and faculty.
Our goal is that eventually access to all our images will be provided via our Cleveland Memory Project website, where 50,000 of our popular images already reside. As we work our way through the hundreds of thousands of images that are not yet in Cleveland Memory, we thank you for your patience and continued interest in our collections. If you have any questions, please ask!
Remembering George Dallas, the "Thanksgiving Santa Claus"
Beginning in 1924 and well through the Great Depression years, successful Cleveland restaurateur, George Dallas, provided a free Thanksgiving meal to thousands of unfortunate Clevelanders who were facing hard times.
Dubbed the "Samaritan of West 3rd" and the "Thanksgiving Santa Claus" by the Plain Dealer, Dallas, his wife, Alma, and his daughter, Marie, would arrive at their restaurant at 1363 W. 3rd Street and would begin preparing for the presentation of the thousands of boxes containing sandwiches, dessert, fruit and coffee. In 1929, Dallas' "grocery list" for all of the meal boxes he made that year included 200 lbs. of bologna, 210 lbs. of special sausage, 350 lbs. of goose liver, 112 fresh hams, 96 turkeys, 16 barrels of apples, 22 barrels of oranges, 1,200 loaves of bread, and 2,000 cakes. The number of people he served grew each year until in 1932, Dallas fed 10,000 people in Public Hall.
Over the years, the Plain Dealer has offered a couple of different accounts about what initially inspired George Dallas to provide his annual free Thanksgiving meal. In a Nov. 24, 1929 article, Dallas, himself states that "the idea came to me in a dream once,"(p. 12A) while an article from November 22, 1930 issue says:
Dallas came from America as an immigrant from Greece when he was 12 years old and penniless and hungry, was turned down when he asked someone for food. He vowed then he would never refuse a hungry man a dinner if it was in his power to give him one. (p. 15, col. 4)
Finally, George Dallas' obituary from the December 25 1952 P.D. gives the following account:
Mr. Dallas came to Cleveland from Athens, Greece, as a boy of 9. He was supposed to meet an uncle here, but the latter had returned to Greece. So the boy found himself homeless and hungry on Thanksgiving Day. That was the inspiration for feeding unfortunates on that holiday. (p. 27, col. 1)
No matter the reason, George Dallas summed it up well when he said, "People say 'Why do you do it, George?' but I say 'I work hard, I make money -- but you can't take your money out of this world with you. This is what I like to do with it.'"
See more photos of the "Thanksgiving Santa Claus"
Still Covering the City With Lines; d.a. levy @70
I have a city to cover with lines -- d.a. levy, from Cleveland Undercovers, 1966
It's hard to believe that famed Cleveland poet, publisher and artist d.a levy would have celebrated his 70th birthday this October 29th.
Darryl Allen Levy was born on October 29, 1942 in Cleveland. In the early 1960s, levy (who then went by the name "d.a. levy") was a leader in Cleveland's small press and poetry scenes, writing and publishing his own work as well as that of his friends and contemporaries under his Renegade and Seven Flowers presses.
By the mid '60s levy began attending local poetry events around the city including the Fenn College Poetry Workshop series with CSU Poetry Center founder Lewis Turco. Intrigued by poetry readings he attended while visiting friends in New York City, levy initiated some of Cleveland's first free-forum coffeehouse readings. The Gate Coffeehouse in the basement of Trinity Cathedral across from Cleveland State University was the site of many such readings, one of which led to levy's arrest from a Nov. 15, 1966 reading there where he accepted and then read poetry submitted by juveniles. City officials deemed the work "obscene" and levy was charged with "contributing to the delinquency of minors."
This wasn't levy's first brush with the law over issues of censorship; the Asphodel Bookstore, run by levy's friend, bookseller Jim Lowell, was raided by Cleveland Police earlier in 1966. Several books and poetry materials including those of levy's were confiscated and never returned. Both levy and Lowell were charged with "possession and distribution of allegedly obscene literature." The case attracted national attention drawing supporters such as poet Allen Ginsberg and the musical group The Fugs who later came to Cleveland to perform at a benefit to aid in the duo's legal defense.
levy continued to create his own art and promote other poets and artists throughout the 1960s, leading the "mimeograph revolution" publishing Cleveland's premier alternative newspapers The Buddhist Third Class Junkmail Oracle and The Marrahwannah Quarterly. Both showcased the works of local and national poets and artists. He responded to the cultural and political turmoil of the times by creating profound concrete and lyrical poetry often influenced by his interest in Buddhism and mysticsm.
Over time, levy became frustrated with a perceived lack of appreciation for his and others' poetry and art. Coupled with his plea of "no contest" for his earlier arrest in lieu of a prison sentence, levy's behavior grew increasingly erratic. In late 1968 he began to tell friends that he was "leaving Cleveland," and gave away or destroyed much of his poetry/art and personal belongings. Sadly, on November 24, 1968, levy took his own life. He was 26 years old.
The Michael Schwartz Library is committed to honoring his legacy by preserving and sharing his works and related resources on a global level. Over the past 10 years the Library's Special Collections has acquired and digitized hundreds of items by or about d.a. and presents them to the world on the d.a. levy collection in Cleveland Memory. The site is our way of continuing to "cover the city" and the world with his lines.
Happy birthday, d.a.! -- Joanne Cornelius, DPU/Course Reserves Coordinator, Michael Schwartz Library
Cleveland Memory's "Beet Lady" Rose Thomas Featured in Poster for Archives Month in Ohio.
Every year in October, the Society of Ohio Archivists sponsors "Archives Month in Ohio" in order to bring awareness to the rich historical materials contained in the state's libraries, museums, and historical organizations. The theme for Archives Month 2012, "Peoples of Ohio," offers archival centers across Ohio an opportunity to feature the diverse groups and cultures that are or have been part of Ohio's population.
The 2012 Archives Month poster, designed by Tutti Jackson of the Ohio Historical Society, commemorates this theme by combining images contributed from 10 archives and libraries in the state to create a visual pastiche of Ohio's rich ethnic heritage. One of the photos featured on the poster is Cleveland Memory's own "beet lady," Rose Thomas as photographed in 1947 showing off her beets at the West Side Market. The photo is part of the Cleveland Press Collection in Special Collections at the Michael Schwartz Library, Cleveland State University.
Bill Barrow, Special Collections Librarian, 2012 Recipient of Herrick Memorial Award
Friday, July 20, 2012, was the 216th anniversary of the founding of Cleveland and the Early Settlers Association of the Western Reserve, and they held an annual celebration on Public Square at 11:00 a.m. with their traditional ceremony in front of Moses Cleaveland's statue. During the festivities, they presented their Herrick Memorial Award, given annually since 1981 for promoting Cleveland, to William C. Barrow for his work with the highly-collaborative Cleveland Memory Project at the Cleveland State University Michael Schwartz Library.
The award plaque reads:
In his role as Special Collections Librarian at the Cleveland State University Library, Bill Barrow has been energetically promoting the history of Greater Cleveland and Northeast Ohio for over a decade. Special Collections is home of the huge, popular Cleveland Press Collection, from Cleveland's former afternoon daily newspaper, and supports the work of hundreds of students, authors, historians, genealogists, and the media with its emphasis on access and use. It also provides most of the photographs and other materials that are digitized and offered on-line through the Library's Cleveland Memory Project.
Cleveland Memory is a highly collaborative collection of historical resources offered freely on the Web. Built since 2002 by the efforts of library school practicum students, dedicated volunteers and the staff of area libraries, historical societies and governmental agencies, who are trained and supported by the library's professional staff, Cleveland Memory is both a terrific window in the Northeast Ohio community's history and a way for its citizens to participate in its construction. It is regionalism in action for our local citizens and a way for far-flung Clevelanders everywhere to stay connected with their hometown. As the Cleveland Memory Project's co-founder, team leader and public spokesman, Bill Barrow is receiving this Herrick Memorial Award for 2012.
Early Settlers' Association of the Western Reserve, Herrick Award
William C. Barrow: firstname.lastname@example.org (216)687-6998
The Cleveland Memory Project Marks a 10-Year Milestone
The Cleveland Memory Project celebrates its tenth annivesary this year and to mark this milestone, we offer a glimpse back to the project's inception and the people who made it possible:
The Cleveland Memory Project was launched in 2002 after the Cleveland State University Library purchased a license for the CONTENTdm image database from Washington State University to organize and present its growing collection of digitized local history images. Needing an introductory page and place for the search and browse functions to be accessed, the Library decided to centralize all its local history web efforts there and named it The Cleveland Memory Project.
Those local history web efforts date back to 1996, when Bill Barrow, then Project Archivist on the Cleveland Union Terminal Collection, learned html coding and started creating web sites for the Cleveland Union Terminal Collection, the Cleveland Press Collection and others. Another such site was the Cleveland Digital Library, created to provide links to both digital content about greater Cleveland history on the web and to the home pages of local institutions dealing with history. Shortly thereafter, University Archivist Bill Becker started the Yesterday's Lakewood site, the first and largest of our community-collaboration sites.
By late 2000, it was apparent that the Library's electronic local history efforts needed a new approach. The practice of creating separate html pages that combined text with embedded images was proving too awkward, especially when changes were needed across the site. The late Professor Walter Leedy, who was then allowing the Library to digitize his substantial postcard collection, urged us to obtain a database for serving up the images.
Library Systems Head Bruce Jeppesen investigated the possibilities and recommended CONTENTdm as being both affordable and flexible enough to export the data elsewhere, should it prove insufficient. He also recommended obtaining the domain names ClevelandMemory.org, -.com and -.net. The Library's Management Team, in particular, Library Director Glenda Thornton and Collection and Database Management Head, Henry York, approved the Cleveland Memory project on November 27, 2000.
The Library obtained a CONTENTdm license in 2001. Working together the Library's Coordinator of Information Access and Organization, Michael Boock, web designer Donna Stewart, Database Maintenance Supervisor Joanne Cornelius, Systems programmer Russ Rucky and others, created the architecture for the new site and launched it in April 2002. Those early months and years saw Cleveland Memory go from a few dozen visitors a day to the thousands currently accessing our digital collections, but those early days were exciting. — Bill Barrow, Special Collections Librarian, Michael Schwartz Library
Cleveland Memory Rewind: 1982 - The Cleveland Press Calls It Quits
Thirty years ago on June 17, 1982 The Cleveland Press, Cleveland's only surviving afternoon daily newspaper, stopped its presses for good. Founded by Edward W. Scripps as the Penny Press in 1878, it started out as a small, 4-page afternoon daily, and under the editorial leadership of Louis B. Seltzer, who helmed The Press from 1928 to 1966, it became one of the country's most influential newspapers.
During the second half of the 1960s, The Press' readership began to decline, a fate shared by other large afternoon dailies, and it lost its lead to the Plain Dealer in 1968. In 1980 Cleveland businessman Joseph Cole bought the paper from Scripps-Howard and tried to breathe new life into it, but the sharp economic recession in the Cleveland area was too much to overcome. On June 17, 1982, Cole announced the closing of The Cleveland Press and, with the appearance of the final edition later that afternoon, Cleveland became a one newspaper town.
Though The Cleveland Press plant at East 9th and Lakeside was torn down in 1983 to make way for the North Point Building, The Press' editorial library or "morgue" found a new home in 1984 when Joseph E. Cole donated it to the Michael Schwartz Library at Cleveland State University. The approximately half a million 8x10 black and white photographs and one million news clippings that comprise "The Cleveland Press Collection" can be found in the library's Special Collections. More than 8,000 photos and documents from the collection are also available online via The Cleveland Memory Project.
More about the Cleveland Press:
Bill Barrow, Cleveland Memory, Receive Recognition from the Society of Ohio Archivists
Bill Barrow, Special Collections Librarian at the Michael Schwartz Library, Cleveland State University, was recognized for his work with the Cleveland Memory Project and Ohio's Heritage Northeast by the Society of Ohio Archivists at their annual conference on Friday, May 18, 2012.
Bill was one of two recipients of the SOA's merit award, which is annually presented to individuals or organizations that have "by excellence in deeds, actions, or initiatives improved the state of archives in Ohio over the past year." Angela O'Neal, Director of Collections Services for the Ohio Historical Society, was also recognized with a merit award for her outstanding service to the Society of Ohio Archivists and for promoting archives within Ohio.
At the 2012 SOA conference, Bill was presented with a plaque that reads:
William C. Barrow, Special Collections Librarian at Cleveland State University (CSU), is given this award in recognition of his efforts in founding and directing the Cleveland Memory and Ohio's Heritage Northeast Projects. Together with the hard work and dedication of numerous colleagues and volunteers, the projects have flourished and provided a rich portal of the area's heritage. Preceded by the Cleveland Digital Library, the Cleveland Memory Project features a trove of rich documentation that links an array of collections and subject topics from across the Cleveland metropolitan area. Through its leadership in this field regionally, the CSU Library has also provided the server for a broad Ohio's Heritage Northeast platform that links universities, colleges, and a number of public libraries with historical photographs.
For his on-going leadership of and involvement with these inspiring programs, it is fitting that the Society of Ohio Archivists presents Bill Barrow with a 2012 SOA Merit Award.
In his acceptance speech, Bill pointed out that the Cleveland Memory Project is highly collaborative and that he was accepting on behalf of the hundred-plus people who have contributed to its success since 2002, naming people in the Michael Schwartz Library and recognizing three contributors in the audience from area public libraries and non-profits who have helped to build Cleveland Memory.
"We form collaborations to build Cleveland Memory," Bill said, "but it is just as important to us that Cleveland Memory provides the opportunity to build collaborations in the NE Ohio region." Cleveland Memory, therefore, is one important way that Cleveland State University engages the community.
Cleveland Memory Rewind: A Casino in Cleveland is Old News...
With the opening of the Horseshoe Casino Cleveland at 100 Public Square on May 14th, it is interesting to note that another downtown casino once had high hopes of cashing it big with Clevelanders and other area high-rollers. The Mayfair Casino, under the "personal direction of George Pomerantz" opened in 1935 in the Ohio Theatre. The Ohio Theatre was redecorated in an Art Deco style, and billed as "Cleveland's Million Dollar Theatre Restaurant", it boasted a main dining room, a "Sky Bar" and the "largest and most beautiful Cocktail Lounge in America."
Basically a supper club, the Mayfair Casino drew some of the largest musical acts in the country, and though "the owners hoped to turn the establishment into an actual casino," it closed the next year in 1936 due to the fact that gambling was not allowed in Ohio.1 The Ohio Theatre then reopened in 1943 with its original decor as part of the Loew's movie chain.
1Case Western Reserve University, "Ohio Theater," Encyclopedia of Cleveland History, http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=OT.
Cleveland Memory Salutes the CSU Poetry Center as it Turns 50!
The Poetry Center at Cleveland State University will celebrate its 50th birthday on April 14th this year. Founded back in 1962 by poet and Fenn College English Instructor Lewis Turco, the Poetry Center at Fenn College, as it was known back then, was the 5th of its kind in the nation and would go on to become a lasting legacy in the Cleveland community.
Lewis Turco, who served as the director for the first two years, helped the Center achieve great success and attracted such literary luminaries as William Golding, author of Lord of the Flies, Kenyon College critic John Crowe Ransom, and Paris Review poetry editor X. J. Kennedy.
Read more about Lewis Turco and the Center's origins.
The Lewis Turco Collection in Cleveland Memory provides many first-hand resources that document the early years of the Poetry Center including:
Cleveland Inside Outside: A Personal Photographic Journey 1981-2011 by Jennie Jones
New in Cleveland Memory - Mapp v. Ohio
When Dollree Mapp was arrested on a felony charge for possession of obscene materials under the Ohio Revised Code in May, 1957, little was it known then that this case, initially concerning 1st Amendment Rights (freedom of speech), would end up in the Supreme Court as an examination of 14th Amendment rights concerning due process of law and equal protection.
A Legal Landmark in Cleveland History, the decision by the court in the case of Mapp v. Ohio ultimately established that evidence obtained without a warrant could not be admitted at criminal proceedings, dramatically changing the way state and local law enforcement officers could "do business."
The Great Lakes Exposition: 75th Anniversary Exhibit
New in Cleveland Memory
A sure sign that it's spring is the annual Geauga County Maple Festival, and, with the festival coming up at the end of April, what could be a better time to visit Cleveland Memory's new web exhibit, the Maple Sugar Industry in Northeast Ohio?
Featuring newspaper articles and photos of various aspects of maple sugar production from the 1920's to the 1970's concentrating on Burton, Chardon, and Geauga County, Maple Sugar Industry in Northeast Ohio is the newest addition to Feeding Cleveland, an exploration of the local food history of Cleveland and Northeast Ohio.
Other recent additions include The Oberlin, Ohio Project and The Great Lakes Exposition, which features streaming video of rare and historical footage taken at the Expo back in 1937. Be sure to take some time out when you can and visit these new web exhibits from the Cleveland Memory Project.
Ohio's Heritage Northeast is Temporarily Unavailable
Due to a hardware upgrade, searching for images on the Ohio's Heritage Northeast website is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience.
In the meantime you can still search for photos of northeast Ohio via the following websites:
Cleveland Memory Pays Tribute to Bob Feller (1918-2010)
by Vern Morrison, Digital Production Assistant , Michael Schwartz Library
If you ask any knowledgeable baseball fan to name the greatest player in Cleveland Indians history, you will always get the same response: Bob Feller. And rightly so.
Born in Van Meter, Iowa, Bob Feller made his major league debut on July 19, 1936 at the age of 17. His first starting assignment came on August 23 at League Park, against the St. Louis Browns. Feller went nine innings that day and struck out 15, as the Indians won 4-1. Later that same season, Feller went on to strike out 17 batters, thus becoming the first major league pitcher to strike out as many hitters in a game as his age. In 1938, Feller struck out 18 hitters in a game against the Detroit Tigers, setting the major league record for strikeouts in a nine-inning game. This record would not be surpassed until 31 years later.
Feller led the American League in pitching victories and strikeouts from1939 through 1941. In December of 1941, days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Feller enlisted in the U. S. Navy and volunteered for combat service. He served as gun captain aboard the USS Alabama until the end of World War II in 1945 and was decorated with five campaign ribbons and eight battle stars. Upon his discharge from the Navy, Feller went back to pitch for the Indians for the remainder of the 1945 season. In 1946, his first full season back in baseball, he again led the American League with 26 victories and a phenomenal 348 strikeouts.
Feller went on to pitch for the Indians through the 1956 season. He finished with career totals of 266 wins and 162 losses, and 2,581 strikeouts. He pitched three no-hitters, including one against the Chicago White Sox on Opening Day, 1940, and 12 one-hit games. He was selected as an All-Star eight times, and was the winning pitcher for the American League in the 1941 and 1946 games. In 1962, during his first year of eligibility, he was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Upon his retirement as a player, Feller kept living in the Greater Cleveland area, and worked in private industry as an insurance salesman and as a public relations specialist. He remained close to the Indians organization for the rest of his life, serving the club as a spring training pitching coach and a public relations spokesman. He would often don the Indians uniform for old-timers games and other events, and was fond of demonstrating his pitching ability for many years after his last big-league game. In June of 2009, at the age of 90, Feller pitched in the Baseball Hall of Fame Classic, an exhibition game at Cooperstown, New York.
During the last few months of his life, Feller suffered from various illnesses. He died of complications from leukemia on December 15, 2010, at the age of 92.
Bob Feller is immortalized in the form of a statue outside the gates of Progressive Field. More important, he left behind a permanent legacy as a pitcher, as a naval hero, and as an ambassador for baseball and for the Cleveland Indians. He will be remembered as long as the game of baseball is played.
As part of the archives of the Cleveland Press, the Cleveland Memory Project is proud to be able to present a collection of photographs of Bob Feller, featuring him throughout his life: as a child, as a member of the Indians, as a naval officer, and as a businessman. View these photographs.
Special Collections at the Michael Schwartz Library Wins 2010 OHRAB Achievement Award
Special Collections at the Michael Schwartz Library, Cleveland State University has been awarded the 2010 Achievement Award from the Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board. The award is presented annually by OHRAB in recognition of significant accomplishments in preserving and improving access to historical records in any format by an Ohio archival institution.
According to the Board:
Cleveland State's Special Collections Department has led the Cleveland Memory Project since its beginning in 2002. Institutions as diverse as the Cuyahoga County Engineer's Office, Berea Children's Home, Rocky River Public Library, Hathaway Brown School, and Lakewood Historical Society have contributed materials from their collections to Cleveland Memory. Project partners have made more than 42,000 images and other historic items available online. Practicum and internship opportunities provide real world experience to students while bringing fresh from the classroom perspectives to practitioners. Cleveland Memory is a model of multi-institutional collaboration melding local collection knowledge, shared infrastructure, and professional development opportunities. OHRAB congratulates Cleveland State University and its partners for expanding access to Ohio's historic resources.
Bill Barrow, the Special Collections Librarian at the Michael Schwartz Library, commented on the award with the following, "We all greatly appreciate this important recognition from the Ohio Historic Records Advisory Board, in awarding us one of their two awards in kicking off their new achievement awards programs."
Noting the many collaborations involved in the project, Bill Barrow goes on to say, "However formally awarded, this is an honor we all share. The nomination stressed the multi-level community collaboration of CSU departments, KSU library practicum students, various partnering public libraries, historical societies and government agencies sharing resources and the partners in the Ohio's Heritage NE [Northeast], all collaborating to make information on the region's history available to its citizens. We felt the process by which Cleveland Memory (and OHNE) were built is as important as the digital content it provides."
The Achievement Award was recently presented to Bill Barrow, the Special Collections Librarian at Michael Schwartz Library and Glenda Thornton, Director of the Michael Schwartz Library by Jill Tatem, University Archivist, Case Western Reserve University. The award consisted of a plaque and a $700 check. The plaque is inscribed in part with the message, "For its work making resources of Ohio History available to a broader public in the Cleveland Memory project," while the check will go toward a project involving the digitization of Cleveland's first five directories. According to Bill Barrow, "the output of this overall project would be a geo-referenced database of 15,500 names, occupations, etc., gleaned from those directories and available for research into the first half-century of Cleveland history." Read more about the award.
Image Searching in Cleveland Memory Will Be Unavailable Oct. 12th
Due to a scheduled upgrade, searching for images on the Cleveland Memory website will be unavailable Tuesday, October 12th from at 8:00 a.m. to approximately 10:00 a.m.. Users of Ohio's Heritage Northeast will be unable to access images from the Cleveland Memory database during this time as well.
Cleveland Memory will be offline 4:00 PM August 4th until 9:00 AM August 5th
Due to scheduled maintenance, searching for images on the Cleveland Memory Project website and for Cleveland Memory images on the Ohio's Heritage Northeast website will be unavailable from 4 pm Wednesday, August 4th until 9:am Thursday, August 5th. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Introducing the Michael Schwartz Library eBook Collections!
Get easy, online access to some of the library's specialized materials by visiting the new Michael Schwartz Library eBook Collections. Using eBrary's interface, readers have many options for searching and navigating the collections and can highlight text, take notes, and add eBooks to a personal bookshelf.
The Michael Schwartz Library eBook Collections currently offer eTexts in the following categories:
The Cleveland State University Scholarship Collection consists of texts authored by the Cleveland State University community. Many of these eBooks carry the Michael Schwartz Library's own imprint, MSL: Academic Endeavors. Cleveland State University faculty, staff, and students who are interested in including their books in this collection should contact the library for more information.
Through eBrary's "QuickView," no special plug-in is required. It is also compatible with any computer operating system, mobile computing platform or web-enabled device (Apple iPad) as long as it uses an up-to-date web browser.
Take a moment to browse through the Michael Schwartz Library eBook Collections.
New in Cleveland Memory - Playhouse Square
With nearly 200 photos and documents from Playhouse Square Center's archive and the Michael Schwartz Library's own Cleveland Press Collection, Playhouse Square, a new web exhibit in the Cleveland Memory Project, presents a concise history of "the largest performing arts center in the U.S. outside of New York City."
Photographs depict the Allen, Hanna, Ohio, Palace and State Theatres from their salad years, through the years of decline, to their eventual renovation and renaissance. Documents, mostly programs, highlight some of the theaters' landmark performances. Also featured are a brief timeline of events and fact sheets for all five theaters.
Brand new Playhouse Square along with other Cleveland Memory web exhibits, The Early History of the Cleveland Play House (1915-1984) and The Dobama Collection offer up a panoramic view of Cleveland's theatrical scene through the years.
Feeding Cleveland Exhibit at CSU Michael Schwartz Library
A Cleveland Memory Christmas
For those of you who are taken to reminisce about Cleveland Christmases past, Cleveland Memory has a nice selection of Christmas photos that capture some of our fondest holiday memories including the downtown window displays, the Sterling-Linder-Davis Christmas tree, and Mr. Jingeling.
More information about these topics and other holiday memories:
New in Cleveland Memory - The Early History of The Cleveland Play House (1915-1984)
Follow the "nation's oldest continuously running resident theater company" from its modest beginnings to its rise as one of the largest regional theaters in the United States.
The Early History of the Cleveland Play House (1915-1984) currently features 156 images of the theater at its various locations as well as publicity stills from many of its memorable productions and of past alums. A brief timeline takes you through some of The Play House's major events, linking you to related images within the collection.
This is a wonderful treat for those who enjoy theater or may remember attending some of these productions.
Cleveland Memory Pays Tribute to Paige Palmer, Cleveland's “First Lady of Fitness”
Cleveland television personality and pioneering exercise diva Paige Palmer passed away on Saturday, November 21st at the age of 93.
She is best remembered for her one-hour television program that ran five days a week on WEWS Channel 5 from 1948 until 1973. According to ClevelandWomen.co, her show was the "very first televised exercise and fitness program for women anywhere in the country."
Cleveland Memory's "Crime Scene, Cleveland" Offers a Glimpse at Some of Cleveland's More Sensationalized Murders
Perhaps it is not one of the most pleasant topics, but recent events have put murder in Cleveland into the news. Those interested in learning more about two of Cleveland's more sensationalized murders, the Torso Murders and the Sheppard Murder Case, can find photos and information about them in Cleveland Memory's "Crime Scene, Cleveland".
The perpetrator of the Kingsbury Run "Torso Murders" took the lives of 12 victims between September 1935 and August 1938 and was never found, but the murders stopped after Cleveland Safety Director, Eliot Ness, and 63 men burned down the Kingsbury Run shantytowns. A film about these murders and Eliot Ness' involvement in the investigation is to be the subject of a film, "Ness", which is currently in development and is to be directed by William Fincher who covered similar subject matter in his films "Se7ven" and "Zodiac".
The murder of Marilyn Sheppard on July 4, 1954 and the subsequent trials of her husband, Samuel Sheppard, for the murder sparked a media frenzy at the time and later inspired a television series, The Fugitive, and a feature film of the same name.
Find out more about these sad and gruesome chapters of Cleveland's history in Crime Scene, Cleveland.
New in Cleveland Memory — The Cleveland Group Plan of 1903
The Group Plan of 1903, which called for the construction of the Mall and surrounding buildings downtown, is the earliest and most fully realized plan for a major city outside of Washington, D.C. It is of current interest because of plans to build a medical mart on the west side of the Mall and has also been the subject of a recent article in the Plain Dealer.
In addition to the Mall, the final design by Daniel H. Burnham, Arnold W. Brunner, and John M. Carrere included the Federal Building, the Cuyahoga County Courthouse, Cleveland City Hall, Public Auditorium/Music Hall, the Cleveland Board of Education, and the Cleveland Public Library. A Union Terminal at the north end of the Mall along Lake Erie was also planned, but never built.
Find out more about the Group Plan of 1903.
The Veterans Memorial Bridge Book is Now on SALE
The Veterans Memorial Bridge Book
90th Anniversary Edition by William E. Beyer
The Veterans Memorial Bridge, formerly known as the Detroit-Superior of High Level Bridge, is an unusual and outstanding example of early twentieth-century bridge engineering. The double decked structure spans the Cuyahoga River Valley adjacent to downtown Cleveland, Ohio and consists of twelve concrete arch approach spans with lengths varying between 80 feet and 180 feet, and a 591-foot long steel arch main river span. The bridge was constructed as a replacement for the old Superior Viaduct, which spanned the Cuyahoga River immediately north of the Detroit-Superior Bridge. The upper deck of the structure was designed to carry highway and pedestrian traffic whereas the lower deck was designed for streetcar traffic. The approaches to the lower deck of the structure included subway tunnels and passenger stations for the streetcars. The first traffic crossed the upper deck of the new bridge in November 1917, and the first streetcars crossed the lower deck in December 1917.
The History of the Veterans Memorial Bridge: 90th Anniversary Edition by William Beyer documents the history of the original construction of the bridge and the two major rehabilitations - the first was done from 1967 to 1969 and the second was done from 1995 to 1997. Some technical information is included, which may be of interest to some readers. However, the major emphasis of the book is the documentation of the history of the bridge and the surrounding community with photographs. The photographs offer a unique opportunity to glimpse into previous eras in Cleveland. It is hoped that the reader will enjoy a journey through the planning, design, construction and rehabilitation of this structure - and develop an understanding and appreciation for the importance of maintaining and, whenever feasible, preserving notable structures such as the Detroit-Superior Bridge, which remain today.
--excerpt from introduction to Veterans Memorial Bridge: 90th Anniversary Edition
Click here for more information or to order a copy.
New in Cleveland Memory — Euclid Beach and the Humphrey Glass Negative Collection
Revisit Euclid Beach Park, one of Cleveland's more successful and longer-lived amusement parks and get a glimpse into the lives of the Humphrey Family, owners and operators of the park from 1901 until its final season in 1969.
This new exhibit in Cleveland Memory features images from the Cleveland Press and Postcards of Cleveland Collections as well as some newly added photos from theHumphrey Glass Negative Collection. The Humphrey Glass Negative Collection in Special Collections at the Michael Schwartz Library is a set of 700 glass negatives documenting the lives and interests of Euclid Beach Park owners, the Humphrey Family, during the early part of the 20th century. Images in the Humphrey collection not only depict Euclid Beach Park, but also include Humphrey family and friends, heroes of early aviation such as Glen Curtiss and Harry Atwood, and other amusement parks of the time, most notably Coney Island.
So take a step back in time when the sound of Laughing Sal, the roar of wooden coasters, the scent of Humphrey popcorn and the thrill of an endless summer filled the air at Euclid Beach Park.
New in Cleveland Memory! Each in Their Own Voice: African-American Artists in Cleveland, 1970-2005
The Michael Schwartz Library has partnered with the Cleveland State University History Department and Art Gallery to produce this online version of the exhibition, Each in Their Own Voice: African-American Artists in Cleveland, 1970-2005 as part of a new collection in Cleveland Memory.
The exhibition ran at the Art Gallery from January 23 to March 7, 2009 and featured work by 24 artists working in a wide range of media including film. Part of the preparation for the exhibition included interviews with each artist recorded as oral histories by the Cleveland State University History Department. Excerpts from these interviews have been made available along with the artists' work as well as portraits of most of the featured artists in this online representation of the original exhibition.
Listen and see for yourself what these talented artists have to say through their interviews and their art.
See"Photographs of the Cleveland Metroparks" - New in Cleveland Memory
Picnicking at North Chagrin Reservation, awaiting the return of the buzzards at Hinkley Reservation, tobogganing down the slide at the Mill Stream Run Reservation, horseback riding at Big Creek... most of us can reminisce of time well-spent at one of Cleveland's sixteen Metroparks.
Cleveland Memory revisits some of those experiences with its new collection of images, "The Photographs of the Cleveland Metroparks," over 100 photos representing 9 of Cleveland's Metroparks, Ohio's oldest park district.
New in Cleveland Memory! "The Photograph Albums of Glenallen"
Glenallen, also known as Glen Allen, was the Cleveland Heights estate of Elisabeth Severance Allen Prentiss built in 1914. Known for its landscaping, which included a Japanese Garden with a goldfish pond and a Korean Pavilion shipped directly from Korea, the interior of the estate featured inlaid oak floors, marble fireplaces, fine art, and a carved mahogany woodwork.
See gracious living at its finest captured by photographer Clifford Norton in this digital representation of this rare twin-volume book of hand-mounted photographs, The Photograph Albums of Glenallen.
See Images of Churches Affected By the Cleveland Diocese's Announcement in Cleveland Memory
The parish church is the anchor for many of Cleveland's ethnic neighborhoods. The Cleveland Diocese's announcement that they would close or merge 52 parishes by June 30, 2010 (pending appeal) will impact Cleveland and area communities as many venerable churches, witness to countless masses, baptisms, weddings, and funerals, may close their doors forever.
Cleveland Memory has images of many of the churches affected by this announcement.
Cleveland Memory Featured in the Sun Press
The Cleveland Memory Project's recent partnership with Cleveland Heights/University Heights to digitize some 700 of their historic images and make them available on the Web via the CMP website is the subject of an article in the March 12th issue of the Sun Press.
The resulting website, Cleveland Heights & University Heights, Ohio: A Collection of Historic Images, debuted last fall with plans to add several hundred more images this spring.
Cleveland Memory Gears Up for 25th Anniversary of "A Christmas Story"
The Cleveland Memory Project is gearing up for the 25th anniversary celebration in Cleveland this week of the holiday movie favorite "A Christmas Story" by sharing with you some vintage images of one of the film's locations, Higbees Department Store.
Also of interest for the season is Cleveland's Golden Age of Downtown Shopping where you can see photos of Christmas decorations and window displays from other downtown department stores, the famous Sterling Linder-Davis trees, and Mr. Jingeling.
New Outdoor Ice Rink in University Circle Prompts Look at Ice Skating Images in Cleveland Memory
According to a recent Plain Dealer article, "Outdoor ice skating returns to University Circle", but in this case it's on synthetic ice.
See World War I Cartoons by Roy Grove in Cleveland Memory
Roy Grove was a cartoonist for the news syndicate Newspaper Enterprise Association from 1917 through the mid-1920's. Covering Europe during World War I, he captured the every-day life of the American soldier away from home for readers of NEA's 326 daily newspapers in the United States, including the Cleveland Press. After the war, Grove went on to cover sports for the same news syndicate.
The Roy Grove Cartoon Collection, donated to Special Collections in the Cleveland State University Library by the Gardner family, contains 64 images of cartoons drawn by Grove in both of these genres.
Cleveland Memory News: 2 New Oral Histories Just Added to Ethnic Women of Cleveland
Two new oral histories have just been added to the Cleveland Memory Project's Ethnic Women of Cleveland series.
You can now listen to Ann Hankavich talk about her early childhood in the Urkaine, her emigration to Canada and her life in Cleveland after marrying her husband.
Ilona Palasic's story is a little different. Growing up as a second generation American in Cleveland, she speaks about growing up in the Hungarian neighborhood on Buckeye Road.
You can listen to these accounts and more as these eastern European women share their experiences of becoming Americans in Cleveland. Find out more about Ethnic Women of Cleveland.
Cleveland Memory Pays Tribute to Herb Score, 1933-2008
Herb Score pitched for the Cleveland Indians from 1955 to 1959, twice making the American League All-Star team and leading the league in strikeouts.
After his playing days were over, Score was a member of the Indians broadcasting team from 1964 until his retirement in 1997. Herb Score will be remembered, and fondly, as long as there are baseball fans in Cleveland.
New in Cleveland Memory! "Feeding Cleveland: Urban Agriculture"
The Cleveland Memory Project has just added a new web exhibit!
Dedicated to the urban gardeners and farmers of Cleveland, Feeding Cleveland: Urban Agriculture is a joyous look at those who "toil in the soil" - from the relief workers during the Great Depression, citizens in their victory gardens during WWII and children in school-sponsored horticulture programs, to the modern-day enthusiasts and entrepreneurs in community and market gardens.
The image at the right is of Cleveland Public School students Marcella Rickets
(left) and Irvina Knight (right), July 1929. View a larger version of the image.
New in Cleveland Memory!
Today Cleveland, Ohio is recognized internationally as a leader in diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease. Our Cleveland Clinic has been ranked No. 1 in the nation for cardiac care by U.S. News and World Report every year since 1995.
With its new web exhibit, Cleveland: Pioneer in Cardiac Care, Cleveland Memory takes a look back to the 1950s when great strides made in area hospitals and other medical facilities first brought Cleveland to the forefront of cardiac care .
... And while you're visiting Cleveland Memory, be sure to note the new website design!
Polish Americans of Cleveland Exhibit in Special Collections
Now on display in Special Collections are photographs of Polish Americans of Cleveland in celebration of Polish American Heritage Month. The exhibit includes photographs of the Polish Cultural Garden and Cardinal Karol Wojtyla's (Pope John Paul II) visit to Cleveland in 1969.
The photographs will be on display until November 7, 2007. For more information about Polish Americans of Cleveland, visit http://www.clevelandmemory.org/polish/.
Showing posts in the 'Cleveland Memory' category only. Click here for display options.
Michael Schwartz Library
Cleveland State University
We bring people & information together.
2121 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44115-2214